Saturday, November 15, 2008

Windflower Seeds


Well, my toe troubles kept me from doing any portriats this weekend, but I did have the opportunity to visit a wonderful group of ladies today. A few months ago a lady named Bonnie Cowley contacted me about speaking to a group of girls called the Windflower Seeds.

It's a teen program that is aimed at building strong, confident young women through Tribal style dance, journal writing and talking circles. Bonnie asked me to come speak to the girls about being a photographer, so I said okay.

My intial thoughts were 1) One of my biggest phobias is public speaking so I'm going to look like a dork in front of these girls. 2)This was like the girl scouts, only a little less merit badgey.
Well, for one thing, this group of girls blew the girl scouts out of the water. I arrived to find the girls dancing to this awesome music. It souned like a mix between techno and middle eastern music. They were awesome and so was the music!

When it was time to talk, we sat in a circle and just chatted really informally, which made me feel sooooo much better. I talked about how I got where I was and what I would suggest to these girls if they were interested in starting their own business.

All in all, I left having a great time, I met some wonderful girls (one of which might be joining me for a few weddings in the near future) and I left with a cd of that awesome music!!!!!!

BTW, These girls are trying to raise funds to purchase costumes in order for them to perform at local venues. After the holidays are finished, I'll be having a portrait weekend where all sitting fees are donated to the Windflower seeds. So, mark your calendars and if you're interested in more information, please visit their website at http://www.windflowerseeds.com/ or give Bonnie Cowley a call at 678-2047




2 comments:

Siucune said...

Thank you so much for coming! You were really nice and I learned a lot about business. I really love your work, too! Hope to see you again!

Bonnie Cowley said...

Amber:

What a blessing you are!! Thank you so much for the giving of your time and sharing your experiences. We would love to have you back anytime.

Bonnie